Developing a Sustainability Manufacturing Maturity Model
|Forfattere||Mahesh Mani, Kevin Lyons, Ram Sriram|
|Publikasjon||IMS2020 - Proceedings from the IMS2020 Summer School on Sustainable Manufacturing|
|Nøkkelord||Sustainable Manufacturing, maturity models, unit process characterizations, best practices|
|Redaktør||Astrid Vigtil. Asbjørn Rolstadås, Bjørn Moseng|
|Utgiver||Tapir Akademisk Forlag|
|Adresse utgiver||Besøksadresse: Tapir Akademisk Forlag Nardoveien 12, Trondheim|
Postadresse: Tapir Akademisk Forlag Postboks 2461 Sluppen 7005 Trondheim
AbstraktSustainable manufacturing (SM) broadly implies the development of innovative manufacturing
sciences and technologies that span the life cycle of products and services to minimize negative
environmental impacts, conserve energy and natural resources, are safe for employees, communities,
and consumers, and are economically sound. The goal towards SM is multifaceted. SM is more than
recycling materials and sourcing renewable energy as commonly perceived; it requires a holistic and
life cycle thinking. Industry today falls short of a comprehensive, yet, amicable framework that will
encompass all aspects of sustainable manufacturing (design practices, energy use, zero landfill, toxic
materials, etc). Additionally there is a lack of support for quantifiable measurements to objectively
evaluate and identify improvement areas for standards conformance. Further, industry needs
appropriate tools to effectively plan for and evaluate sustainable manufacturing’s maturity short-term,
intermediate and long-term objectives. Such a maturity model’s value will rely on a consistent set of
performance indicators and test models that can be quantifiably measured with stated uncertainties.
This paper discusses the concepts of, and efforts required to develop, a sustainable manufacturing
maturity model (SMMM). Our SMMM recommendation is facilitated by life cycle management
(LCM) tools, techniques and measurements through manufacturing unit process characterizations.
Referanser1. Elkington J., (1997) Cannibals with Forks: The Triple Bottom Line of 21st Century Business. Capstone, New
2. http://www.ita.doc.gov/competitiveness/sustainablemanufacturing/how_doc_defines_SM.asp, Accessed May 18,
3. http://www.nacfam.org/PolicyInitiatives/SustainableManufacturing/tabid/64/Default.aspx/., Accessed May 18,
4. Grayson D., Jin Z., Lemon M., Rodriguez M.A., Slaughter S., Tay S., (2008) A New Mindset for Corporate
Responsibility. http://www.connect-world.com/PDFs/white_papers/a_new_mindset_wp_en.pdf, Accessed May
5. http://www.greenleaf-publishing.com/content/pdfs/denvch1.pdf, Accessed May 18, 2010.
6. Life Cycle Management: A Business Guide to sustainability, United Nations Environment Programme, 2007.
7. Life Cycle Management: How business uses it to create opportunities and make value chains more sustainable.
United Nations Environment Programme, 2007.
8. Background Report for a UNEP Guide to life cycle management-- A bridge to sustainable products, Division of
Technology, Industry and Economics - United Nations Environment Programme, 2006.
9. http://www.unep.fr/scp/lifecycle/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
10. Schischke K., Hagelüken M., Steffenhagen G., (2005) An Introduction to EcoDesign Strategies – Why, what and
how? Fraunhofer IZM, Berlin, Germany. http://www.ecodesignarc.info/ Accessed May 18, 2010.
11. Aurich J.C., Schweitzer E., Fuchs C., (2007) Life Cycle Management of Industrial Product-Service Systems,
Proceedings of the 14th CIRP Conference on Life Cycle Engineering, Tokyo, pp. 171-176.
12. Fabrycky W.J., (1987) Designing for the Life Cycle, Journal of Mechanical Engineering, pp. 72-74.
13. Graedel T. E., Allenby B. R. (2003) Industrial Ecology - New Jersey, USA, Pearson Education Inc., Prentice Hall
14. Curran M.A, (1996). Environmental Life Cycle Assessment - New York: McGraw-Hill Publications.
15. Guinée J.B., (2002)Handbook on Life Cycle Assessment - Operational Guide to the ISO Standards [Book]. -
Dordrecht, Netherlands : Kluwer Academic Publishers,
16. Guidelines for Life-Cycle Assessment: A Code of Practice (1993), SETAC (Society of Environmental Toxicology
and Chemistry), http://www.setac.org/node/32/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
17. ISO 14040:2006, Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Principles and framework.
18. ISO 14044:2006, Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Requirements and guidelines.
19. Guidelines for social life cycle assessment of products, Life cycle initiative, (2009) United Nations Environment
20. Rebitzer G., Hunkeler D., (2003) Life cycle costing in LCM: ambitions, opportunities, and limitations - discussing
a framework International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 8 (5), pp. 253-6.
21. List of LCA tools, http://lca.jrc.ec.europa.eu/lcainfohub_test/toolList.vm, Accessed May 18, 2010.
22. http://www.epa.gov/nrmrl/lcaccess/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
23. http://www.pre.nl/simapro/default.htm, Accessed May 18, 2010.
24. http://www.gabi-software.com/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
25. http://www.eiolca.net/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
26. http://www.epa.gov/nrmrl/std/sab/traci/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
27. http://www.bfrl.nist.gov/oae/software/bees/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
28. http://www.leibrecht.org/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
29. Design for Sustainability, A step-by-step approach, (2009 ) United Nations Environment Programme.
http://www.d4s-sbs.org/d4s_sbs_manual_site.pdf, Accessed May 18, 2010.
30. Design for Sustainability, A global guide: Modules (2009) United Nations Environment Programme.
31. Brezet J.C, Hemel C. G. v. (1997). Ecodesign: A promising approach to sustainable production and
32. Hauschild M. Z., Jeswiet J.A., Alting L., (2004) Design for Environment - Do We Get the Focus Right? Annals of
the CIRP, Vol. 53. - pp. 1-4
33. Thomas R., (1999) The Development of a DFE Workbench, PhD Thesis. - NUIG Galway, Ireland,
34. Tischner U., Rubik F., (2000) How to Do EcoDesign? - A Guide for Environmentally and Economically Sound
Design [Book]. - Frankfurt, Germany : German Federal Environmental Agency.
35. Fiksel J., (1996) Design for Environment. Creating Eco-efficient Products and Processes. McGraw-Hill.
36. http://www.dfma.com/software/dfe.htm, Accessed May 18, 2010.
37. Crul M., Diehl J.C., (2007) Design for Sustainability (D4S): A Practical Approach for Developing Economies,
UNEP publication. http://www.unep.fr/shared/publications/pdf/DTIx0826xPA-D4SapproachEN.pdf, Accessed
May 18, 2010.
38. Alting L., (1993) Life Cycle Design of Products: A New Opportunity for Manufacturing Enterprises, Concurrent
Engineering Automation Tools and Techniques, Wiley Press, pp 1- 17.
39. Alting L., Wenzel H., Hauschild M., (1997) Environmental Assessment of Products - Vol 1, Chapman Hall.
40. Joseph S., (1995) Strategic Assessment of Designing for the Environment, Proceedings of 3rd International
Congress on Environmentally Conscious Design and Manufacturing, pp37-53.
41. Benhrendt S., Jasch C., Peneda M., Weenen H., (1997) Life Cycle Design A Manual for Small and Medium
42. Roche T., (1998) A Green Approach to Product Development, Proceedings of 1998 International Conference on
Intelligent Manufacturing Systems, 1998, Lausanne Switzerland.
43. Ernzer M., Wimmer W., (2002) From environmental assessment results to Design for Environment product
changes: an evaluation of quantitative and qualitative methods, Journal of Engineering Design, Vol 13, No. 3, pp
44. Lenau T., Bey N., (2001) Design of environmentally friendly products using indicators, Proceedings of the
Institute of Mechanical Engineers, Vol 215 Part B, pp 637-645.
45. Perrson J.G., (2001) Eco-indicators in product development, Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers
Vol 215 Part B, pp 627-635
46. Masui K., Sakao T., Kobayashi M., Inaba A., (2003) Applying Quality Function deployment to environmentally
conscious design, International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, Vol. 20, No 1, pp 90-106.
47. Hermann B. G., Kroeze C., Jawjit W., (2007) Assessing environmental performance by combining life cycle
assessment, multi-criteria analysis and environmental performance indicators, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol
15, pp 1787-1796.
48. Huang C., Ma H., (2004) A multidimensional environmental evaluation of packaging materials, Science of the
Total Environment, Vol 324, pp 161–172.
49. Bauer D., Sheng P., (2000) Integration of Functional and Environmental Performance Design Decisions, Journal
of Industrial Ecology, Vol 3, No. 4, pp 59-75.
50. Sousa I., Eisenhard J.L., Wallace D., (2001) Approximate Life-Cycle Assessment of Product Concepts Using
Learning Systems, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Vol 4, No. 4, pp 61-81.
51. Sousa I. ,Wallace D., (2006) Product classification to support approximate life-cycle assessment of design
concepts, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol 73,pp 228-249.
52. Borland N., Wallace D., (2000) Environmentally Conscious Product Design, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Vol 3,
No. 2&3, pp 33-46.53. Biswas G., Kawamura K, Hunkeler D., Dhingra R., Caffey L., Hunag E., (1998) An Environmentally Conscious
Decision Support System for life-cycle management, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Vol 2, No. 1, pp 127-142.
54. Hur T., Lee J., Ryu J., Kwon E., (2005) Simplified LCA and matrix methods in identifying the environmental
aspects of a product system, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol 75, pp 229-237.
55. Tan R.R., Culaba A. B., Aviso K. B., (2008) A fuzzy linear extension of the general matrix based life cycle model,
Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol 16, pp 1358-1367.
56. http://www.ptc.com/products/insight-environmental-compliance, Accessed May 18, 2010.
57. http://www.rohs.eu/english/index.html, Accessed May 18, 2010.
58. http://www.rohsguide.com/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
59. http://www.elvsolutions.org/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
60. http://ecb.jrc.ec.europa.eu/reach/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
61. http://www.computer.org/portal/web/swebok, Accessed May 18, 2010.
62. http://www.wppl.org/wphistory/PhilipCrosby/grant.htm May 18, 2010.
63. www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
64. www.sei.cmu.edu, Accessed May 18, 2010.
65. http://opm3online.pmi.org/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
66. Chrissis M.B., Mike C., Sandy S., (2002) CMMI® Guidelines for Process Integration and Product Improvement,
2003, Pearson Education, Inc based on the CMMI-SE/SW/IPPD/SS Version 1.1 published by SEI..
67. Chrissis M.B., Mike C., Sandy S., (2006) CMMI® Guidelines for Process Improvement and Product Integration,
2007, Pearson Education, Inc based on the CMMI Version 1.2 published by SEI.
68. Sullivan J.L., (2007) Comparing CMMI® and OPM3®,
http://www.allpm.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1659, Accessed May 18, 2010.
69. Keuten T., MacFadyen T., (2007) Collaborative Opportunities for Using OPM3® and CMMI®, Project
70. Making progress with PLM, http://www.johnstark.com/, Accessed May 18, 2010.
71. http://www.dodmrl.com, Accessed May 18, 2010.
72. http://www.dodmrl.com/MRA_Deskbook_v7.1.pdf, Accessed May 18, 2010.
73. Unit Manufacturing Processes: Issues and Opportunities in Research, NRC Report. 1995.
74. Todd, H.R., Alen, K.D., (1994) Manufacturing Processes Reference Guide, Industrial Press Inc.
75. Checklist for life cycle design & design for environment http://www.pprc.org/pubs/epr/dfe.pdf , Accessed May 18,
76. Raizer Neto E., Mariotte M.T., Hinz R.T. P., (2006) Indicators to measure sustainability of an industrial
manufacturing, D. Brissaud et al. (eds.), Innovation in Life Cycle Engineering and Sustainable Development, 111–
77. Keeble J. J., Topiol S., Berkeley S., (2003) Using Indicators to Measure Sustainability Performance at a Corporate
and Project Level Journal of Business Ethics 44: 149–158, 2003. 2002 Arthur D. Little Limited.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/w1565362x3277428/fulltext.pdf, Accessed May 18, 2010.
78. Sustainability Performance Indicators,
http://www.dantes.info/Tools&Methods/Environmentalinformation/enviro_info_spi.html, Accessed May 18, 2010.
79. A Manual for the Preparers and Users of Eco-efficiency Indicators, United Nations conference on trade and
development, UNCTAD/ITE/IPC/2003/7, 2004.
80. OECD Environmental Indicators, Development, Measurement and Use,
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/7/47/24993546.pdf, Accessed May 18, 2010.
81. Feng S. C., Joung C. B., (2010) Development Overview of Sustainable Manufacturing Metrics, Proceedings of the
17th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Engineering, http://www.nist.gov/cgibin//
get_pdf.cgi?pub_id=904931, Accessed May 18, 2010.
82. Environment Performance Indicatorshttp://www.globalreporting.org/NR/rdonlyres/F9BECDB8-95BE-4636-9F63-
F8D9121900D4/0/G3_IP_Environment.pdf , Accessed May 18, 2010.
Forrige artikkel Neste artikkel